Table of Contents - A handy way to check out my articles by topic
My most recent Guides:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can reach me at: powerscorerpg@gmail.com

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Lair Assault - Kill the Wizard

Gird yourself for spoilers....

The new lair assault goes like this:

Go to wizard's manor. Fight his apprentice, who can teleport around the manor as a free action. In each room, she can activate a different minor action power, like making a painting shoot fire, or having an invisible stalker attack.

Then you go into the wizard's dungeon, where the PCs appear in random rooms and may end up alone against a bunch of giant monsters. And then, if they survive, they come upon the wizard who is showing off his beholder-like construct to his eight apprentices (minions, thankfully).

It is really good.

I have run it twice, once in an "official" capacity at a game store, and then again tonight in a home game. Both times, it was modified. For the home game, it was toned down to not be so difficult. As for the game store, well...

Here is what I have learned about Lair Assaults. The whole idea is to run a super-challenging, deadly mega-encounter for min/maxers and power gamers to try to "win" like it's a video game. But in my experience, those types of players hate to be challenged.

There is nothing worse to them than dying in this game (except rolling a 1 on a d20). And in 4e, dying is an excruciating process of death saves. The player sits at the table for about an hour of real life time doing nothing more than rolling a death save and being sad that it wasn't a 20.

Months back I ran Tyrantclaw the way it was supposed to be run. And it was poorly received. Nobody wanted to try again. They moped at having been "defeated".

Then I ran Spiderkiller, not in nightmare mode, not in regular mode, but in "Wet Dream Mode". As in, I made it easy. They loved it. And same thing happened with Kill the Wizard.

Maybe this is just a local thing. I want to see Lair Assault continue (I want poster maps!), but I wonder if it will see enough player support. 



1 comment:

Spacebar counter said...

You know the spacebar counter is useful for some gamers as well. Since there are such countless games where you need to utilize a console to mess around and in that circumstance, the solitary thing that matters is your planning since, supposing that you are quick in composing then no one but you can be quick in your games as well and that is the reason the spacebar counter is made for.
Spacebar counter